Where is your sleep hygiene at?
One of the first questions I ask all clients, is ‘how do you sleep?’
This is such an imperative question when it comes to understanding someones mental and physical health. If they are not sleeping well, then it can cause all sorts of problems.
Sometimes just helping the client with their sleep is all they need, as they notice all the other symptoms have dissipated now they have better sleep.
I know that I am a walking zombie if I don’t get at least 7 hours of sleep. It affects my stress levels and my patience, my motivation goes out the window and I cant think clearly. Just on one nights disturbed sleep.
Whats most disturbing is that we will sacrifice our sleep because of a TV show we really want to watch or a work deadline we are pushing to meet. We have to step back and realize through our actions of not putting our sleep on top of the priority list, we are saying no to our sleep, which is a big fat no to ourselves, our health and our happiness.
I know that sounds dramatic, but it’s the truth right?
One night can turn into a bad habit of 11pm frequent bedtimes real quick
Maybe this can be a reminder to look at what you are saying yes to instead of yourself, and focus on readjusting the end of your day to position yourself at the top of the list.
If you’re wanting to wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the day, it’s important that you tidy your sleep routine up. Here are three top tips to get you strated.
- Protecting your bedtime is key, know when you want to be sleeping by and then bring it forward half an hour to an hour to accommodate for your bedtime routine.
- Soak yourself into your bedtime routine and view it as a connection with yourself and your chance to not so much ‘do’ but ‘be’
- Dedicate this time of day to everything self care, think baths, moisturise, oils, journalling, meditating, all the things that help you to connect back with yourself.
- Have fun creating this space and trying out new things that help you to release, relax and unwind.
- Make it a daily routine, you can not just do it once or twice to get all the benefits, it has to be a way of life.
Happy sleepy time.